So you've committed, you've taken the leap, you've even made it facebook official: you're going Vegan for January - doing Veganuary if you will. And now you realise that you're actually going to have to feed yourself... but fret not, despite what all the #vegan #healthy #raw photos on instagram may lead you to think, vegan diets aren't all that complicated. The fact is that we rarely bother to post a picture of our breakfast when it's beans on toast (#guilty) - which incidentally is vegan. I've compiled a few ideas to help you get through your meat-free month, one meal at a time.
BREAKFAST - The first hurdle - but what am I to put in my tea?!
· Swap out Cow milk for a plant-based milk (Soy / Almond / Oat etc - you can find a whole bunch of options, though be aware that A - some 'sweetened' options contain a lot of sugar and B - soy production is often ecologically destructive, try to buy from companies that use responsibly farmed soy)
· Most breads, including bagels and crumpets, are fine, so toast is still on the menu! As are baked beans / HP sauce / Branston pickle / marmite / jam / peanut butter... Or avocado and finely sliced tomato if you're instagramming your way through Veganuary...
· Check out our OVERNIGHT OATS recipe for a quick, easy, delicious and nutritious breakfast.
· BANANA PANCAKES are so easily made vegan. For a basic batter you'll need to mix together a mashed ripe banana, flour, baking powder, and plant milk - that's it. You can also try subbing some flour with oats, adding cinnamon, sultanas, blueberries, milk-free choc chips...whatever you fancy!
· If you're craving eggs, give SCRAMBLED TOFU a go
· Smoothies / juices - possibly the easiest breakfast there is. Put your choice of ingredients in a blender/juicer and drink your creation.
Try not to think eating vegan as limiting yourself - instead use it an opportunity to get creative with your cooking! Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't; eat it and learn from it - it'll make you a better person. I mean cook.
Enjoy! If you try any of these be sure to let us know in the comments below or tag us in a picture with #NorthernKarmaKitchen
Good luck and feel free to drop us a line with any questions!