We don't need much of an excuse to throw a party at our house, but last week was Mamma H's birthday! What better reason for a day filled with family, friends, bonfires, twinkly lights and - of course - cake! As our family has a coeliac, diabetic and vegan in it, here's one of our family friendly recipes:
Carrot cake. Deliciously moist, light and as healthy as you like , perfect with a cuppa (or for a party!).
Vegan, Vegetarian & Gluten Free (GF) if you want. Use local, organic ingredients where possible.
- 1 & ½ cups grated carrot
- ½ cup agave / natural low calorie fruit sugar syrup or honey if not vegan
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup rapeseed/sunflower oil
- 1 &½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ orange & all of the zest
- 1 Tablespoon Flax seeds
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower seeds, or mixed seeds e.g. sunflower, pumpkin, sesame.
- 1 & ½ cups plain flour – or use GF
- 1 & ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder ( check if GF if needed)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped walnuts
- Reserve whole or half walnuts to decorate
1. Heat oven to 350F or 180C, 175C for fan oven
2. Prepare baking tin – the mix fits a 2lb loaf tin nicely, make sure to grease and line as appropriate, the cake is quite delicate to turn out.
3. Mix wet ingredients together in a jug.
4. Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
5. Add wet to dry, mix together well.
6. Put cake batter into a prepared cake tin, smooth level and add walnuts to decorate
7. Bake in oven at 350F or 180C for about 45 minutes until done – when a skewer, inserted into the centre, comes out clean.
8. Cool in tin on rack.
9. When cool transfer from tin to rack to go cold before cutting into generous pieces.