THIS MONTH'S CAUSE: The Real Junk Food Project

"Rounding-up" for the Community

Yoga is about so much more than improving flexibility or standing on your head. In our classes, we discover how breathing and relaxation exercises can teach us to take control of ourselves and calm our minds, allowing us to focus and make better decisions: decisions that will lead us to a happier, healthier way of life which causes the least harm to ourselves and others.

At Northern Karma, we believe that an individual's health and happiness is dependent on the health and happiness of the whole community, and actively encourage the lovely people we work with to consider how they can use and share the inner peace they cultivate in class; as part of this, we like to give the option of "rounding-up" your class price, by as little or as much as you like, and at the end of each month all the contributions are donated to a local charity, along with 10% of our profit. The other 90% goes back into making our classes and events better for you, through equipment, new venues and training.

So without further ado, I have the pleasure to introduce this month's charity: The Real Junk Food Project Sheffield

Why RJFP?

It's almost impossible to imagine the vast quantities of food that are wasted every single day, and I'm not just talking about clearing our plates. There is waste on every level of our food production and distribution systems, from the tonnes of fruit and vegetables that get thrown away due to being "misshapen", to the mountains of perfectly edible food thrown out by supermarkets everyday due to unnecessary use-by dates. When we consider that, globally, there are approximately 1 billion people going hungry, and that even on a local level, more and more teachers are reporting that children are turning up to school having eaten nothing since the previous day, it is clear that something is incredibly wrong.

The Real Junk Food project seeks to intercept as much of this waste produce as possible, using it to cook up healthy, delicious food which is then served to the community on a Pay-What-You-Feel basis. The aim is to create "an inclusive community space responding to the environmental impacts of waste disposal as well as unemployment and community engagement" - in other words, you can pay in money, washing up or by contributing some time, space or skills to the running of the project. Everybody is welcome.

I was lucky enough to get involved with the action during 'The Little Sheffield Feast' earlier this month. The atmosphere was wonderful, a real street party, where about 140 people feasted on food that would otherwise have ended up in a landfill. Check out the video here  (keep your eyes peeled for a familiar back-of-head in the bottom-left corner!)

The Real Junk Food Project is essentially about building community, bringing people together, helping each other out and working collectively to find solutions to the challenges we face. Now those are some real #goals.